New debug kernel installation mechanism committed to HEAD

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sun Oct 24 08:11:30 PDT 2004

On Thursday, 21 October 2004 at  9:59:36 +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
> -On [20041021 09:32], Matthew Dillon (dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>>    Theoretically that should work but I've never tried it.  It would be
>>    nice if it could be automated.  I do not know if the FreeBSD guys have
>>    made any progress integrating modules into the debugger.

Sorry for coming into this discussion so late (and possibly not
sending this message for some days, when I next get net access).

Yes, the FreeBSD guys (not me) have made considerable progress with
of gdb 6.x) things are a bit of a jumble.  In many cases it's possible
for the symbols to load automatically without user intervention; I
think this is the case for those lucky enough to be able to get a
processor dump (currently 'panic' in ddb doesn't work; use 'call
doadump' to get a dump).

> Check Greg's various gdb setup files:
>
> /usr/src/sys/dev/raid/vinum/.gdbinit*

This is a little out of date.  Now more generic scripts are in
/usr/src/tools/debugscripts.  You should be able to go to the kernel
build directory (typically something like /usr/obj/usr/src/GENERIC)
and write:

  # make gdbinit
  # gdb -k kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.1

The 'make gdbinit' creates .gdbinit files customized to the processor
architecture.  There's a lot more about this in my tutorial in
Karlsruhe on Friday.  After that, I'll release the course notes
(hopefully with corrections).

Greg
--
Finger grog at xxxxxxxxx for PGP public key