dragonfly license

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Sat Oct 2 11:08:07 PDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 07:23:12PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 01:05:37PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
>> That is a good one. ;-) I have yet to understand the "AS IS" AND THE
>> AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES... stuff. I mean, sure it's copyrighted
>> but how could suitability or quality be construed from that?
>
>Well, a disclaimer is a typical piece of American law. It doesn't really
>work e.g. in Germany, but in the USA you can be sued for the stupidity
>of the user.

My lawyer says:

The body of law is called negligence - it's a huge field.  I can't answer
intelligently unless it's a concise case but, in general, the disclaimer
might not be effective unless it was something people genuinely understood
and had a good chance of seeing.  Don't take that as legal advice, however -
it's all case by case.

Which I could read as yes, maybe applies to an "advertised good" BSD
OS but I doubt to personal code. ...time for a beer.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at xxxxxxxxx