X in DragonFly

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Oct 30 22:23:34 PDT 2004

:Hi dudes,
:
:I think I meanwhile tested X quite exhaustivly on DragonFly. To put
:aside any doubts, I consider myself as an average user. I built both
:X.org 6.7 (XFree 4.4) and XFree 4.3 from ports and installed both as
:well as packages afterwards. Never tried to build from the original
:sources though.
:
:I always got a graphical environment after a bit of fiddling, but also
:experienced some very strange behaviour everytime. E.g. X always froze
:my box a when I killed it with ^AltBackspace. The machine also died
:when I tried to fall back to a VT via AltFx. Same when I exited the
:windowmanager.
:Died means it wasn't accessible via the keyboard anymore nor via ssh.
:The screen went just black and the only way to recover was a cold reboot.
:
:I could derive some things that let X (and also my machine) die at
:startup:
:- using any cursor-icon except CORE
:- Monitor Option "DPMS" set in configfile (OK, my monitor)
:
:I've installed XFree 4.3 and X11R6.7 (XFree 4.4) on Linux and OpenBSD
:and never had any problems like those.
:
:I'd be grateful if anybody could confirm this, since I'm not really
:sure that I'm the only one.
:
:Thanks in advance
:/Markus
:
:X config: http://www.neuronenwerk.de/xconfig

    Sounds like the video switching is broken.  This is the first bug
    report I've heard in a while related to video switching so it is
    likely an X video driver issue.  It might be possible to get more
    information out of the box if you have a second machine you can attach
    a serial console to, and then see if you can break into DDB via the
    serial console after it freezes.  Alternatively it might be possible
    that the 'freeze' is in fact a panic.  If it is a panic and you have a
    dump device set up the system might be able to dump the kernel core to
    the swap partition... you would see the HD lamp light up for up to
    a few minutes (depending on how much memory the box has that needs to
    be dumped) when the box freezes.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>