cross-build failure

David Frech lambda at nimblemachines.com
Tue Oct 26 13:23:17 PDT 2004

grep failed to link because of undefined symbols in libz:
  inflate_blocks
  inflate_blocks_free
  inflate_blocks_reset
  inflate_blocks_new
  inflate_blocks_sync_point
  inflate_mask
  inflate_set_dictionary
  inflate_table

All of these symbols, except for inflate_table, are in
/usr/src/lib/libz/{infblock.c,infutil.c}.

I couldn't find inflate_table defined anywhere.

Interestingly, the Makefile doesn't mention infblock or infutil, and the
. o's are definitely missing from my /usr/obj.

As an aside, this is how I did my cross-build (I was kind of guessing ;-):

I'm building on FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE.

My DragonFly disk / and /usr are mounted as /dfly and /dfly/usr. I cvsupped
last night (Oct 25 11:09pm PST).

Then I built like this:

  cd /dfly/usr/src
  make MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/dfly/usr/obj buildworld

Everything seemed to be working great until grep failed to link because of
above libz damage.

Also I couldn't figure out if there is a way to pass make.conf-style
settings to a cross build.

Cheers,

- David