SC_PIXEL_MODE and VESA in GENERIC?

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Sat Oct 23 02:24:23 PDT 2004

Matthew Dillon wrote:

    I think this is doable as long as the default mode is left as it is.
    I don't think the vesa module makes any video bios calls on startup,
    which would be my only worry.
Matt,

well, it does. During initialization (see vesa_bios_init() in vesa.c) it
reads adapter and video mode information using bios calls 0x4f00 and 0x4f01.

IIRC the "mad system timer" issue was never triggered by this
initialization (but instead by video mode switching). But if you're
worried, just leave VESA out and put only SC_PIXEL_MODE and (if you
like) VGA_WIDTH90 in GENERIC because vesa can be kldload'ed later.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx