More ramblings from the annoying route engine guy...

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Thu Oct 21 10:36:15 PDT 2004

Joshua Coombs wrote:
So, I've been slowly making progress getting my route schema working
within LWIP.  This is not the way to learn C.  In any case, after
chatting on #dragonflybsd I found out that many people are
interested in something that rolls vrrp/carp/etc functionality in
with loadbalancing, so loosing an interface doesn't drop a box, etc.
I just happen to have been spending the last few days pounding on
Extreme's and wonder if their schema could be of use.

Extreme's are an entirely virtual interface driven system.  For
simplicity they call their interface's vlans, although they have
nothing to 802.1q.  IP interfaces are defined by individual vlans.
These vlans are then bound to one or more physical interfaces.  This
lets you literally bind say, 192.168.1.1/24 to 4 gigabit ports.  It
might be cpu intensive, but instead of layering on carp/vrrp could
this sort of schema work and allow even greater flexibility?

Joshua Coombs

I think this functionality is called ``etherchanneling'' and it is
provided on a lot of routers. It sounds cool to me, but it's not really
similar to CARP or VRRP, where, for instance, if one machine goes down,
another takes over. I think these two could certainly work hand-in-hand;
assume two routers which are etherchanneling, one goes down and the
other takes over.

I'm not familiar with what route schema you are working on, but I'd be
interested in hearing what you're doing. One thing that would be nice to
have (that Linux and Windows do and we don't) is multipath routing: the
ability to send packets via different routes on different interfaces
either via round-robin or any other applicable algorithm.

I don't know what times you're generally available, but it'd be nice to
talk to you in #DragonFlyBSD about this work :).

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell