How to build just one device....

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Nov 9 10:38:52 PST 2004

:If I make changes to only the ata device, what is the makefile sequence I
:need to only build that device and link into the kernel w/o rebuilding
:everything else?
:
:jm
:--

    If you previously ran the buildkernel target you can run the
    quickkernel target to only rebuild what has changed.  It
    will still rerun the dependancies, but that doesn't take too
    long.

    e.g.

    cd /usr/src/

    # do a full build
    #
    make buildkernel KERNCONF=blah

    # do an incremental rebuild
    #
    make quickkernel KERNCONF=blah

    You can also cd directly into the kernel build directory,
    /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/blah (that is the path if /usr/src is not a
    softlink), that the above make's created, and just type 'make' and
    'make install', which skips the depend step.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>