ATA timeout

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Nov 8 08:54:45 PST 2004

:Here's an update.
:
:I re-installed to my spare drive, disabled hw.ata.ata_dma in loader.conf,
:and cvsupped the tree.  All went fine until I was under heavy load checking
:out into /usr/src.  The message was:
:ata: WRITE device timeout tag=0 serv=0
:ata: resetting devices
:
:It SEEMED that I got farther with DMA disabled, but I'm not sure.  I'm
:trying to make several successive attempts to at least get a tree checked
:out so I might be able to apply some patches to the kernel if we get any
:ideas.  I'm not sure how well that's going to work, however, since the
:heavy load of checkout and/or building is what causes the problem.
:jm

    Could you boot a DFly CD, login as root, and do a 'pciconf -l' ?
    I want to track down the chipset and check the DMA timing init.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>