ATA Patch #7 (Re: ATA Patch #6)

YONETANI Tomokazu qhwt+dfly at les.ath.cx
Tue Nov 30 05:36:11 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:40:36AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Ok, it may be too early to speak, but if I understand the documents
> :correctly, the device control register should not be accessed when
> :DMACK is assert -- that is, you can't disable device interrupt after
> :ata_dmastart(), right? Here's a small modification to ATA Patch #7
> :that just worked(but slightly worse numbers from dd command compared
> :to unpatched kernel) on Dynabook SS3500.
> :- reduced DELAY()'s you added down to 1
> :- move up ata_clear_interlock() before ata_dmastart()
> :- add missing ata_clear_interlock() after calls to ata_command()
> :  with ATA_WAIT_READY flag.
>
>     Ooh.  I think you are onto something.  That makes a lot of sense.
>
>     You need to add one thing, and that is to put a critical section
>     around the clearing of the interlock and the DMA start so no interrupt
>     can occur inbetween the two.
>
>     Also, the command delay is mandatory... it's either in the specs
>     (somewhere), or it had to be done some time in the past to support
>     slow devices.  The selection DELAY (the first one) below can be reduced
>     to 1us, but the command-start DELAY (the second one) cannot.
>
>     Maybe we should make the command-start delay programmable with a
>     sysctl.

Here's another patch to be applied on top of ATA Patch #7(attached).
I added ata_clear_interlock() in ata_dmastart() because it needs
device interrupt enabled anyway. Here I'm assuming that the critical
section can be nested(looking at thread2.h it can).
Command-start delay can be changed via hw.ata.command_delay(default: 10).
Negative value is ignored and silently reset to 0 (can we let sysctl(8)
to reject bogus values?).
ata-7-take2.patch.gz