CRATER STATUS UPDATE

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Nov 22 16:02:22 PST 2004

    Crater (the main DragonFly repository, mail, and web server) had a disk
    'event' overnight.  As in something critical inside its hard disk died
    and I am now the proud owner of a medium sized lead weight.

    I have restored crater from backups as of Sunday to a new disk.   Sorry
    it took so long, I first attempted to copy the old disk onto the new
    one to see how bad the loss was, and that took a few hours, but there
    were several hundred hard errors all over the old disk and fsck couldn't
    handle it, so I had to restore from backups.

    Some commits done on Sunday were lost (not too many fortunately) but
    it looks like the Monday morning incremental succeeded so I think I
    can get them all restored.

    Some archived mail and news will have been lost, nothing I can do
    about that, I didn't realize I had a good monday morning incremental until
    after I brought the system back up.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>