(userspace) vfs and xio [CAPS?]

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue May 25 14:44:27 PDT 2004

:> :I wonder if it would be possible to get cid's into kqueue notification?
:>
:>     I intend to change CAPS over to use file descriptors.
:>
:
:Dropping cid's for FDs?

    Yah, but before that can happen FDs need to be augmented with
    additional capabilities, including rfork() handling capabilities.

:>     all the wonderful METHOD code we have to support devices and busses.
:>     That way we can support a whole lot more then what we have in the current
:>     fileops structure.
:>
:
:fileops is the part that determines which VFS operations can be performed on a
:given FD correct?  [Sorry... not much of kernel programmer :)]

    Sorta.  It's the first line... the fileops usually windup calling VFS
    ops but some, as those for a pipe(), bypass the VFS subsystem.

:I may require clarification of what exactly your vision is for this.  For
:example is the caps cid stuff just going to disappear [at the user level] and
:then we will have a file descriptor for looking up the cid specifics?
:...
:If so then I may already basically understand what you want to have done.

    Right.  The cid becomes a file descriptor.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>