New ISO available / ...

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat May 1 15:05:17 PDT 2004

:Is it true that I would need to
:      cd /dev
:      ./MAKEDEV ad0s2a
:before I could do anything with partitions in that second slice?
:I did that, and it seemed to do the trick, but the README didn't
:mention it.

    Hmm... Yes, I think I only create all the disk devices for the
    first slice by default.

    This is why I have the CD create MFS partitions for things like /dev,
    so you can easily create what you need :-)

:I wouldn't ask, but once I was done with all the steps, the result
:does not work.  It is QUITE LIKELY that it was something I screwed
:up, because I was pretty tired when I was doing it.  I know I was
:confused for a little while, for instance, and it turned out that
:I had skipped over the 'cpdup' for /etc to /mnt/etc...

    Well, if the device entries are missing the commands like 'newfs'
    should simply have failed.

:all the /mnt partitions, and rebooted.  The boot-0 prompt (where you
:hit a function key to boot from some specific slice) would not let
:me select slice 2 (dragonfly) or slice 3 (an already-installed
:...
:
:I found that if I boot up off a FreeBSD install CD, and drop into
:the boot loader, than I can boot slice 3 (the freebsd slice).  When
:I tried to mount the dragonfly slices from the FreeBSD 5 system, it
:wouldn't let me.  Should that work?  Or will freebsd be confused by
:the changes so Dragonfly supports more partitions per slice?

    That might not work due to our expansion from 8 to 16 partitions, but
    I don't recall changing anything specific that would prevent FreeBSD-5
    from seeing the partition table.

    The boot loader should see the second slice... presuming that you
    installed bootblocks in it with disklabel.

    You might also have to make it an 'active' slice.  I'm not exactly
    sure how that works... some sort of flag you set via fdisk or boot0cfg
    I think.  It could be as simple as that.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:It is highly likely that the problems I'm seeing are my own fault,
:and this *is* a test machine where it is fine if I have to reinstall
:everything.  So don't worry about the problems.  I was just curious
:about these few things which came up while I was playing around.
:
:--
:Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
:Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx
:Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at xxxxxxx