Porting /dev/random to DFly

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Mon May 31 21:49:57 PDT 2004

William M. Grim wrote:

Hey, everyone!

I ported the last set of changes to rand.c (unless there are newer
updates I don't know about) from FreeBSD RELENG_5 to DFly.

However, I am also interested in porting the /dev/random code over to
DFly as well, and it seems some people would be happy with this code.
So, I started doing a small bit of research with porting over the code.
 Sorry that I'm late starting on this; I'm still reading 4.4BSD and
taking other real-life stuff.

Currently, I have copied the src/sys/dev/random directory from FreeBSD
over to DFly.  However, I'm having problems determining how I tell the
DFly build system to try and compile this into the system.

Firstly, I notice that FBSD has a src/sys/conf/files that lists some
files in there.  I couldn't determine how this was used, but I imagine
it is some way of saying this file is a standard/optional module:
1) Go ahead and build it if it's standard, or 2) build it only if it's
listed in the kernel config using the name I specify in conf/files.  Am
I wrong about this?

Secondly, is there some other place I should tell the build system to
look when looking for files to compile into the kernel?  I didn't notice
a Makefile in src/sys/dev/random; so, I can only assume the conf/files
thus far.

Any help on getting me started would be appreciated.  I didn't notice
any immediate documents concerning conf/files.
	According to my personal experience with porting the 5.x
	random code, I would say you are fine to use a module Makefile
	for now.
	Just copy a Makefile, from say, umm, sys/bus/firewire, and
	modify it to have your source files in the SRCS variable.
	That should work out fine.

		-Hiten
		hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx