apt-get

Jon Noack noackjr at alumni.rice.edu
Mon May 31 14:35:37 PDT 2004

On 05/31/04 15:34, Bill Huey (hui) wrote:
2) Building something like KDE/GNOME is nearly impossible to do, let
alone the wait for it to finish building. I have had build literally
take days to finish and people pushing "ports" style system can't ignore
that. The world isn't fixed and it's highly desirable to run even the
latest stuff off of the CVS from those projects. I use to do it all of
the time and without problems under Debian.
I disagree with your "nearly impossible" comment.  I've been using KDE
from FreeBSD ports since version 2.1.x.  Sure, it takes a while to
compile, but I would just start the upgrade (CVSup ports tree,
'portupgrade -ar') before leaving work or going to sleep.  I can't
recall a time when it wasn't successfully completed by the next morning.
 When I didn't want to wait, I simply used the packages from the
KDE/FreeBSD team (http://rabarber.fruitsalad.org/).  I recognize that
having packages available is the exception rather than the rule.

My completely ignorant opinion is that FreeBSD should integrate the
bento build cluster (http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/) with the ports
system.  The ports system would default to using the package if
available, but there would still be an option to always compile from
source.  If the package wasn't available yet, then the port would be
compiled from source as before.  The packages are already being built
(http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-packages-5-latest/)!  All
that is needed is to set the default PACKAGESITE to the above URL, make
packages the default, and ensure there is enough bandwidth to handle the
load.  I know this requires further considerations for security and what
not, but handling the load is the only technical difficulty I see...

Jon