apt-get

Diego Calleja García diegocg at teleline.es
Sat May 29 18:45:45 PDT 2004

El Sun, 30 May 2004 02:14:53 +0200 Michel Talon <talon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> Yes this wonderful mechanism ensures that the so called stable system is
> 3 years old, the unstable sytem periodically bombs out, and the testing
> system is not much better.  Add to that the perpetual politics nightmare
> that the Debian people are so fond of, and you get the present fiasco
> of the "Sarge release" delayed because it is not free enough ...

/me smells flamewar.

Basing about debian will get nowhere, and it does not solve ports' own issues.

That apt has been a success is a fact. That your friend lost KDE (and well,
apt does allow the user to handle those issues and stop/hold updates
for those given packages so your friend's problem was very probably a
strong case of RTFM) is not a reason to forget thousands of happy sysadmins
that have found in apt a very reliable tool which has been the best package
system for years (and still it is, altough just in my humble opinion) just
because "it works". Now things can be improved, certainly. Like in FBSD
ports...

Whatever dfly uses, I'm happy that is being considered by its technical
merits, and not rejected just because it's GPL, which is certainly a
sign of dfly sanity :)

Diego Calleja