TMDA ( was Re: Hmmm... )

cmulcahy at avesi.com cmulcahy at avesi.com
Thu May 27 10:51:44 PDT 2004

Be careful of anything that automatically replies to anything.
Just sending RFC-compliant bounce messages can lead to a
denial-of-service condition ( on qmail, anyways ) since most spam ( that
is to say, most email ) has forged ( generating additional bounces ) or
unroutable ( queue-clogging ) return addresses.
You are amplifying your bandwidth attrition.

Also, the last time I looked at TMDA it worked by invoking a new Python
interpreter for every piece of mail that it handled.  This sort of load
profile can blow up an otherwise capable internet server.

I think TMDA is more of a client-side solution.

mulc