Quick Note about DragonFly Port Overrides

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Mon May 24 10:16:25 PDT 2004

Erik P. Skaalerud wrote:

Hiten Pandya wrote:

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

At 3:06 PM +0100 5/24/04, Hiten Pandya wrote:

David Rhodus wrote:

Perhaps we should set all the ports to be built with GCC3 then
as this is what most of the ports development and testing is
done under in FreeBSD at this time. I assume that would make a
lot of the ports build much cleaner and fixed several compile
errors but I can't really be sure without some testing on that
subject.
 >-DR

    I second this idea; note, this will break quite a lot of
    ports but it is nice to do that so early in the timeline
    otherwise we will end up adding all kinds of hacks.

It will break some ports (such as net/cap).  On the other hand, it
would probably be better to default to using gcc3 and then have an
exception-method to handle the ports which can not build with gcc3.
    Yes, we could add something like USE_GCC2 or something, and
    people can just define that in their /etc/make.conf is they
    dont care about GCC-3 madness. :-)
        -Hiten
        hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Going into /etc/make.conf and setting CCVER=gcc2 every time a port
breaks is going to be hell.

As Garance said, we should have a some sort of system where we can enter
overrides for ports when it comes to flags. (Some sort of file that
ports will read each time it builds to see if there are any overrides)?
	/etc/make.conf is good enough in my opinion.  If one does not
	like to mess with the GCC-3 madness, than they can just set a
	make variable and ports will not use GCC-3.
Making a complete override port (dfports) for each freebsd port not
working with out gcc3 is going to be hell..
	As I said earlier on, little changes like __DragonFly__ symbol
	missing in some code can be just patched and sent to the vendor.
	If you can push bigger changes, than that is good too.  It all
	depends how picky the vendor is about the changes.
	Personally, If the vendor does not accept the changes, I would
	push them up to FreeBSD Ports Team.
		-Hiten
		hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx