Why splash screens don't work...

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Mon May 17 09:41:12 PDT 2004

Dear DFly community,

splash screens don't work (at least on my machine, no matter what I
try). This has been reported in d.bugs before by Jörg Anslik. After two
weeks or so of investigation I think I can tell why. Please correct any
bugs in my argumentation.

The problem with the current setup is that the loader does not seem to
call the event handler function of splash_{bmp,pcx}.ko with the MOD_LOAD
argument (see the thread 'loader question' from yesterday; also see
splashreg.h for the handler definition). This results in
splash_register() never being called and the global integer 'decoders'
(both from splash.c) staying 0. The first call to the syscons function
scinit() (done via cninit() from init386() right at the beginning of the
kernel) should normally pop up the splash screen but it can't since no
decoders are registered. It nevertheless sets the SC_INIT_DONE flag
resulting in subsequent calls to scinit() no longer executing the splash
screen part.

I'm a bit unsure about the loader part (even more so as Matt stated that
the loader _does_ call the event handler function) but this is the only
explanation that matches all my observations. Perhaps I've overlooked
something. Please comment.

Regards,
Sascha
--