(userspace) vfs and xio [CAPS?]

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue May 25 12:42:45 PDT 2004

:I wonder if it would be possible to get cid's into kqueue notification?

    I intend to change CAPS over to use file descriptors.

    Actually, first, I intend to rip out struct fileops and replace it with
    all the wonderful METHOD code we have to support devices and busses.
    That way we can support a whole lot more then what we have in the current
    fileops structure.

						-Matt

:I believe the Portals API even specifies some non-contiguous message
:passing via some iovec like implementation in it's latest specification.
:
:For interested parties.
:http://www.sandiaportals.org
:
:I've used this API extensively in the last 3 years and it's not too shabby :).
:
:It's being used as the underlying layer of the Lustre cluster file system as
:well and is implemented in kernel space, IIRC, in linux on top of a Network
:Abstraction Layer.
:
:Pretty neat stuff.  It was designed with scalability in mind as  you don't
:require a socket to address other processes... you just have to find it's
:pid and nid [process id and node id] to talk to it.  In other words you don't
:need file descriptors for sockets to do communication.
:
:I wouldn't mind taking a few passes at the CAPS stuff perhaps sometime this
:week and see what I come up with.  I am relocating all next week but will
:hopefully have my stuff back from the moving company within 8 days and would
:be able to resume.
:
:Dave

    I'll definitely take a look at it.

    I'll do the work required to convert fileops to the METHOD interface,
    would you like the job of making CAPS descriptor-based?

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>