Device layering work patch #2

* lvpoker at cox.net
Mon May 17 03:58:55 PDT 2004

In article <200405162207.i4GM7fSI045117 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
>     Here is the next rev of the device layering patch.
>
>     ....  I would appreciate testing so I can
>     be confident that I'm not going to blow up the system when I commit
>     this stage, but nobody should install this patch on a production
>     machine.

I never understood this catch 22.

How best to test new ideas and concepts in OS development than on some
'production' type machines that some might be willing to sacrifice?
Production type testing blows away manual testing of what you can on
spare machine.

What is better, testing dragonfly (or ANY OSS OS) on a brute force,
full fledged server handling REAL work, or just trying to duplicate
loads on fake setups?

Scott N