New DFly ISO CD image available 20040506

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri May 7 00:13:15 PDT 2004

    I've put a new DFly ISO on the download page.  dfly-20040506.iso.gz.

	http://www.dragonflybsd.org/main/download.cgi

    I have removed the old (and unstable) 20040502.iso.gz image to ensure
    that nobody downloads it accidently.

    -

    DragonFly has finally stabilized again after the mess I made of the FP,
    PIPE, and ACPICA code this week.  I'd like to call on more testers
    w/ the latest kernels.  All you need to do is build the latest kernel
    like you usually do and boot with this line in your /boot/loader.conf:

	kern.mmxopt=1

    I also recommend that anyone who ran any of the kernels of the last two
    weeks reboot into single user (boot -s from the loader prompt) and do
    a manual fsck just to make sure there is no lingering FS corruption.

    All of my DFly machines now run with FP optimizations turned on and David
    Rhodus tested it on a bunch of machines without any crashes or other
    weirdness, as have a few others.  I made some major changes to the NPX
    module and related code to support the ability for the DFly kernel to
    use the FP unit (MXX and XMM instructions) at significantly reduced
    cost over what it takes to use it in the FreeBSD kernel.

    -

    There still may be one or two people with issues related to
    the recent work that are still open... typically boot-time issues.
    I don't think these issues are related to the work but one of them might
    have been related to the ACPICA bug I introduced (the pmap_qremove()
    bug), which I fixed in the last day or two.  And, yes, I'm aware that
    there are still IPV6 issues.  Hopefully Jeff will be able to check those
    out soon.

    Finally, I plan on laying down a stable tag (just a slip tag, not a
    branch tag) to allow us to designate 'reasonably stable' source images
    that our less adventerous users can start tracking.  I'll do this
    over the weekend, before I start on the next big coding push.