Consesus on "Package System Discussions"

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Mon May 31 23:02:28 PDT 2004

Gang,

The package system discussions should be halted for now; as it seems,
that every time the subject is brought up, it ends up with mounds of
discussion and gets nowhere.
I think for now, we should be concentrating on getting the core of the
userland up-to-date and adding support for asynchronous system calls and
 giving libc the kick that is needs; user-land threading etc.
In my opinio; and I am sure others agree with me here; the package
system is the *least* of our concerns right now.  DragonFly needs to
have a distinct difference from its ancestor (heh, dont take it
figuratively); slapping a new package system and changing name is not
helping us achieve that for now.
Granted, we have written a lot of kernel pieces and new functionality,
but from a common user's perspective, we are not that much different
from FreeBSD-4; we need to change this perspective.
So, please, no bikesheds and long discussions on this topic; they can be
halted for now.
Thanks.

	-Hiten
	hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx