CAPS question

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Wed May 26 12:14:42 PDT 2004

To Matt, Leimy, or any other CAPS guru who might know:

I'm seeing "interesting" behaviour w.r.t. CAPMS_DISPOSE messages sent to
my userland service process from the kernel.  I'm still not 100% sure
that I've analyzed the problem correctly, but AFAICT so far, I see this:

If (and only if) the client process exits before the service process
calls caps_sys_wait() to retrieve the CAPMS_DISPOSE message, the
CAPMS_DISPOSE message never shows up.

Does that analysis make sense?  Is this behaviour intentional?  It can
screw things up for my service code which (naively?) expects a dispose
message after every caps_sys_reply().  Alternatively, is there a way to
check beforehand that a dispose message will (or won't) be arriving?  Or
a way to code a service so that it doesn't have to worry about them?

Right now I'm working around it by having the client sleep for a second
before exiting, but that's CLEARLY less than the ideal solution :(

Thanks for any insight!
-Chris