New brainfart for threaded VFS and data passing between threads.

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Wed Mar 31 12:14:48 PST 2004

At 2:58 PM -0800 3/30/04, Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Now when I heard about this huge performance increase I of
    course immediately decided that DragonFly needed this feature
    to, and so we now have it for DFly pipes.
			Light Bulb goes off in head

    But it also got me to thinking about a number of other sticky
    issues that we face, especially in our desire to thread major
    subsystems (...), and also issues related to ...
    This idea of using SF_BUF's and making the target responsible
    for mapping the data has changed everything.  Consider what
    this can be used for:
          [...list of several items...]

    And many other things.  XIO is the nutcracker, and the nut is
    virtually all the remaining big-ticket items we need to cover
    DragonFly.
    This is very exciting to me.
This sound very promising.  It will be interesting to see how it
works out.  It seems pretty odd to call that a "brainfart" though,
sounds more like an "major inspiration" to me...
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx