buildworld may be unstable tomorrow morning

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Mon Mar 22 11:22:11 PST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:55:33 -0500
Garance A Drosihn <drosih at xxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 9:06 AM -0800 3/22/04, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >     I think we could safely do this.  What do other people think?
>
> Don't some ports also put files in there?

I seriously hope not.

> The main one I'm
> thinking off is X11, since it is often installed as "part of
> the base system".  [...checking...]  Hmm.  No, I guess that puts
> them in /usr/X11R6/include.  Seems to me that at one time I had
> some port which put files in /usr/include...

Probably.  I think boehm-gc might've done that at one point.  But I'd
consider it broken behaviour - it caused me no end of mysterious trouble
trying to upgrade xfree a couple of years later.

IMO /usr/include/ should be exclusively for the system's headers, and
therefore it makes sense to regenerate it as part of regenerating the
system.

-Chris