Grub and DragonFly?

dragonfly at brainguts.no-ip.com dragonfly at brainguts.no-ip.com
Sun Mar 21 17:48:51 PST 2004

> Eli Scott wrote:
>
>> So, Anyone out there use Grub to boot Dragonfly?  And, if so, how the
>> heck have you managed to do it?
>
> I converted an existing FreeBSD installation  ;0)
>
> However, when dealing with FreeBSD I always had better luck
> using the 'disklabel -B' command.  I usually screwed things
> up with boot0cfg.  Never did understand why, either.
>
> It sounds like you already have a copy of your partition
> table stored safely away, right?

Yeah, I *kind of* found a work around the problem.  I looked through the
boot(8) manpage and read up on the boot process.  So, even though grub
spits me out at a semi-f'ed up boot:, if I enter 0:ad(0,a)/kernel, the
spinning wand returns and the system boots - but then I get a mountroot>
(i think, i don't remember exactly) root prompt.  Typing ufs:ad0s1a then
<enter> gets the system to boot.  So, I'm semi-happy, though this isn't a
nice solution at all.  I'm going to look through the whole boot(8) manpage
and see if there's any other hints.  Thanks for the response, though.

-Eli