a few first impressions from the 2004-03-17b image

Rahul Siddharthan rsidd at online.fr
Sat Mar 20 17:10:34 PST 2004

Andreas Fuchs said on Mar 21, 2004 at 01:43:21:
> Most port installations went smoothly, too, with one (rather big, for
> me) exception: emacs.
>
> The build expects to find a /usr/lib/crtbegin.o, but there is no such
> file around. I'll try to figure out how a build on linux manages to
> complete (at least on the debian 3.0 that I have, the file isn't
> present).

I noticed this -- sorry I forgot to point it out on the lists.
Manually removing crtbegin.o from the emacs makefiles fixes it.

>  * The second was that cvsup complained that /home/dcvs can't be
>    found. It's not a very astonishing or hard to fix error, but
>    perhaps the mkdir command should be mentioned in the README (-:

Actually, you only want the full CVS tree if you're going to be
developing, in which case you know what to do :) Casual users will
need only the "checked-out" copy (prefix=/usr and release=cvs tag=.),
as noted in the sample supfile.  Perhaps this should be made the
default, at least when 1.0 is released.

Rahul