Goals for first release (June/USENIX)

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Mar 11 14:13:58 PST 2004

At 11:15 AM -0800 3/11/04, Matthew Dillon wrote:
    You know, actually when I think about it, we do not really
    need to have a fully working packaging system in order to
    have fully working binary packages.
    If we use the /opt idea as a basis, then a binary package is
    simply a tar of /opt/<packageandver> directory.  The ONLY
    thing we really need to be able to use such a tar file is a
    parser for /opt/<pkgandver>/ENVIRONMENT which builds the
    symlinks and varsyms.
I think I'd prefer that it be '/opt-df' or '/df-pkg' or something
else short but unique.  Too many admins may be used to using /opt
for other things, and it also might be that some of these package
ideas could be easily adapted to other OS's.
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx