Benchmarking

Gary Thorpe gathorpe79 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 17:00:29 PST 2004

Ivan Voras wrote:

Some time ago I had a plan to benchmark several OS'es for fun&learning.
As it turned out, due to the lack of time the process was very slow. I
intend to do DragonFlyBSD next, so I'm asking: what would be the best
way to install it? Download the bootable ISO (from
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/main/download.cgi) and then upgrade to
-current via cvs? Is there a somewhat step-by-step walkthrough of the
process since, as I understand it there is no install/setup program?

Also, if anybody has some performance-related patches, now would be a
good time to commit them to CVS :)

(Current results are in
http://geri.cc.fer.hr/~ivoras/osbench/osbench.sxc; Summary: FreeBSD 5.2
is slower in synthetic tests but appears surprisingly better in a
"real-world" test than 4.9).

What format is this file in? I just view the binary source when I browse
it in Netscape 6.2.