Converting FBSD installation to DFBSD?

Michael Powell testuser at workstation.zip
Fri Mar 19 15:17:31 PST 2004

Matthew Dillon wrote:
[snip]

>     It basically assumes that you haven't messed around with files that
>     sysops do not normally mess around with, like /etc/rc.d/*,
>     /etc/defaults/*, and friends, and updates them unconditionally.
>
>     In most cases you never need to run mergemaster.  In fact, it's my
>     preference to not run it... system upgrades should be automatic, after
>     all.
>
> -Matt

        I hate mergemaster with a passion. I have found that most of the
time upgrade issues are well covered in UPDATING. Only twice have I been
bitten by not running mergemaster. The errors pointed to very specific
files, and running diff between mine in /etc/* and the one(s)
in /usr/src/etc pointed out what had been overlooked. As a sysadmin I have
severely massaged many files in /etc and do not care for anything that
messes with them. Just my $.02 worth.     :-)

-Michael Powell