strange pausing

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Mar 17 10:10:45 PST 2004

:Not sure if anyone else is seeing this...
:
:If I run a 'make' in one window, then in another window I do 'ls' or
:'cd' ... I notice that the make process pauses while the ls or cd is
:running. Looks like some kind of bizarre locking behaviour ...
:
:Is this normal ?
:
:Is anyone else seeing this ?
:
:Andrew.

    I'm definitely not seeing this.  Does it occur every time?  There are
    lots of possibilities here... is this all local to the machine or are
    you doing this over an ssh or other network connection?  It could also be
    that the make process is not actually pausing, it's just slowing down
    due to the disk activity (e.g. a make buildworld accesses a lot of
    files).

    Alternatively it's always possible that I screwed up a lock somewhere
    and the make is actually blocked on "/" or something :-)

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>