Unionfs etc Re: Packaging

James Frazer jfrazer at ieee.org
Fri Mar 12 15:16:26 PST 2004

This reminds me about some FS ideas I was contemplating a year or so ago.

Sometimes I feel that traditional file systems impose to much structure
on the user.  I think one of the things that make current OS's too hard
to use is that a lot of OS files are open to user-eyes when they
shouldn't be.  Both MacOSX and Windows try to 'hide' these files, but in
reality we know they're still there (and it's very easy to get to them
and muck around).

So what I'm getting at here is I think the file system 'view' should be
more dynamic, and based upon who is using the OS (maybe depending on
different user classes).  Regular users obviously do not need access to
OS files, and should never know they even exist.  Sys Admins would have
a different view, and the OS developer would have another view as well.
 Maybe this could be thought of as 'blackboxing' the system.

I'm sure these ideas could be implimented easily enough through
metadata, extended attributes, or whatever you want to call them.

Some of the things BEOS did with metadata were nice.

--James