Disk partitioning (was: Daemon's Advocate article)

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Wed Mar 3 13:07:40 PST 2004

At 12:34 PM -0800 3/3/04, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>   There may be problems with NetBSD and OpenBSD in this environment,
:>   due to the partition naming conventions.  I don't expect Dragonfly
:>   to have any problems.
:
: NetBSD and OpenBSD have the advantage of allowing the specification
: of subartitions outside the slice and therefore the use to access
: e.g. such hidden partitions from point 1. FreeBSD has a limit
: of 8 partitions, OpenBSD and maybe NetBSD too of 16.
:
:Joerg
    There is actually room for 16, but the dev minor number does
    not have enough bits to specify more then 8.
Could we do something slimy, like have another device major-number
which means "the second 8-partitions of a disk"?
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx