good motherboard choice?

Dave Leimbach leimySPAM2k at mac.com
Sat Mar 27 07:37:37 PST 2004

Well I think my motherboard has gone crazy.

I have an ASUS N8X-Deluxe motherboard and it can't boot any of the following
OpenBSD, FreeBSD 4.x or 5.x or DragonFly.

It probably will boot linux but I don't use it anymore since starting with
FreeBSD.  For some reason Windows seems to work but it BSOD's a lot more often
than should occur on XP Pro.

It randomly fails the startup memory tests and I tested the memory to be OK.

Basically I need a new motherboard.  Any recommendations?  I want to keep my
existing Athlon XP 2800+ CPU and the RAM so I need to stick with AMD
compatible stuff.  I'd rather steer clear of NForce2 based motherboards
unless someone knows them to work with DragonFly.

I found a very affordable VIA KT600 based one but I don't know if that's a
good choice either.

I am not interested in supporting new hardware on DraonFly... I just want
a machine that works :)

Dave