BSDmall already selling DragonFlyBSD

Michael Powell testuser at workstation.zip
Wed Mar 24 14:19:39 PST 2004

Emiel Kollof wrote:

> Hey list,
>
> Check this out: http://www.bsdmall.com/drbsddepr.html
>
> Should we complain about this? Since we don't have official developer
> preview images, I think we should ask the BSD mall people to hold off
> selling CDs with dragonflybsd on them, or make it VERY clear that it's in
> flux and by no means a finished product.
>
> If they picked a wonkey or stale image, it could set a bad image. Of
> course they are within their rights to sell CDs with DragonFly on them,
> but with all the port breakage lately, I think the reviews will be
> scathing.
>
> So, what do y'all think?
>
> Cheers,
> Emiel

Greetings:

        As an end user and not a developer my first take is I don't care for
this at all. While on the one hand the argument might be made for "exposure
can expand the userbase" marketing approach, yet on the other what kinds of
users are going to get sucked in with this exposure? I'm not the smartest
guy on the planet but it seems to me that technically oriented people will
have no problem finding the instructions via the web site and don't need
marketing. Marketing exposure to the masses can only bring distraction at
the current stage of DragonFly developement, which I don't believe is
really ready for the influx of the great digitally unwashed. It's not even
a Release-01 yet! Better to let you guys get it ready first and "release"
it when the time is right. Not to mention, if it were me, I would have
asked the DragonFly developers first and foremost for input and/or
permission. But that's just me and my $.02 worth.      :-)

-Michael