Kernel Panic on boot

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Mar 20 13:20:22 PST 2004

:On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 11:20:55AM -0600, Eric J. Christeson wrote:
:> On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 09:52, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
:> > Can you boot with "hw.pci_disable_bios_route=1" set at the loader prompt?
:>
:> This allows it to boot just fine, although it doesn't detect any PCMCIA
:> cards.
:
:The problem is a broken PCI-BIOS which doesn't handle the route request
:correctly. Since I have such a broken BIOS too, I added that tunable to
:be able to boot GENERIC kernel.
:
:There are three different "solutions" in order of increasing complexity:
:- add a local hack wire the interrupt link for cardbus and add the necessary
:  chipset specific part for activation. I'm doing this right now.
:- include the hooks for ACPI interrupt routing. This depends on a working
:  ACPI implementation instead and should work if you have to use ACPI on
:  FreeBSD 5 too.
:- port the pcib interrupt code from NetBSD/OpenBSD which allows the kernel
:  to handle it w/ PCI BIOS at all.
:
:The first point is some kind of scaled down version of the last point :)
:
:Joerg

    #3 sounds like it would be the most maintainable.  I don't think we want
    to create a case where we have to completely depend on ACPI, if possible,
    and I would really love to be able to scrap PCI-BIOS.

    Could you point me at the NetBSD/OpenBSD sources involved?  I can take a
    quick look and estimate the effort required.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>