Goals for first release (June/USENIX)

ibotty me at ibotty.net
Thu Mar 11 01:17:30 PST 2004

>     * Syscall ihot pluge layer and messaging (true async syscalls), and
>       related upcall and other interfaces, such as placing the syscall
>       compatibility layer into userland.
>
>       I'm not happy with the current infrastructure.  I am going to rework
>       it and use a shared memory segment between userland and the kernel
>       that the messages would be transfered through, allowing us to avoid
>       copyin/copyout.  The same rendezvous memory API could be used to
>       augment the directory services IPC syscalls (CAPS calls) to greatly
>       improve their performance as well.

in my uneducated opinion, this sounds much like kqueue/kevent. right?

>     Those are my personal goals.  Others can post their own personal goal
>     set for the first release.

i have a generic hot plug/event notification in mind.
i have a semi-working prototype, hope to get it done sometime around easter.
this will leave enough time to convert usbd and pccardd to use it.

maybe this will even let enough time to start my devd (a daemon that creates
device node, when needed). well, just dreaming i guess.

~ibotty