Daemon's Advocate article

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Tue Mar 2 05:17:40 PST 2004

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> Chris Pressey said on Mar  1, 2004 at 23:12:25:
>> <extremely_contentious>
>>
>> * Let's call a spade a spade - or rather, a partition a partition.
>> i.e.
>>
>> *BSD         The Rest of the World           DFly
>> ----         ---------------------           ----
>> slice                partition                       partition
>> partition    N/A                             subpartition
>                 ^^^
> I think the N/A should be "extended partition".  At least, my disk has
> four slices ("partitions" in rest-of-the-world speak), of which the
> first 3 are windows, linux ext3 and linux swap and the fourth is
> FreeBSD; and I can mount the FreeBSD (sub-)partitions under linux as
> /dev/hda5, /dev/hda7 etc. (/dev/hda6=FreeBSD swap)

Not really, since "logical partitions" in the dos sense (or Linux) are
chained together (like a linear chain) while the "partitions" created by
disklabel are defined by a table at the beginning of the "slice" or of
the disk. Hence there is analogy between subpartitioning through disklabel
and logical partitions in extended partition, but the analogy is not
perfect.

--
Michel Talon