Daemon's Advocate article

Robert Garrett rg70 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 1 21:33:32 PST 2004

David Cuthbert wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:

    Hey, here's an idea... using the VFS wrapper idea our     'ports'
system could create a namespace that makes everything
    appear to be preinstalled.

Interesting experiment, but I think too much would break in reality.

There are a lot of autoconf scripts that, for example, check permissions
and usability of include files and libraries as well as xxxx-config
shell scripts.  Quite often, I don't *want* some of these obscure/broken
libraries linked in.

The only way I can think of for this to be practical would be to install
precompiled trusted packages. I can't ascertain that a port will in fact
build.

Robert Garrett