How to use DFly sources via nfs?

Eirik Nygaard eirikn at kerneled.com
Fri Jun 4 05:02:32 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 12:03:38PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 02:59:18PM -0700, walt wrote:
> > I now have two DFly machines and I'm trying to spare DFly some bandwidth
> > by sharing the sources directory via nfs.
> >
> > The problem is that quickworld halts immediately with missing file
> > errors, obviously related to the /usr/src symlink.
> >
> > I have /usr from the first machine nfs_mounted (ro) on /mnt on the
> > second machine.
> >
> > I have /usr/src symlinked to /mnt/usr/src.
> >
> > Is there an environment variable I need to set in order to make this
> > work?  Any other requirements?
>
> I'm not sure of an environment variable, but using symlinks for the build
> location is very likely to hit bugs of one sort or the other.
> Building in any location works fine IF you are using a real directory.
> An alternative (untried) would be a read-only nullfs mount, from
> /mnt/usr/src to /usr/src. This has the advantage of the working getcwd()
> which the symlink doesn't have.

I have been symlinking $HOME/dragonfly/src to /usr/src since I started using
DFly, havn't seen any problems yet. That might just be because of my little
habit of not tripping over any bugs.

So all I can say it: Works for me(tm)

--
Eirik Nygaard
eirikn at xxxxxxxxxxxx    Never let a computer know you're in a hurry.