DragonFly RC1 ISO now available.

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Mon Jun 28 13:33:21 PDT 2004

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
:> -On [20040628 09:42], Matthew Dillon (dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
:>
:>>   I'm too tired to announce it officially.  I'll put together a better
:>>   blurb monday evening (and also announce it on the FreeBSD lists
:>>   monday evening).  But for now ... this is the time for locals to
:>>   download!  The 1.0-RC1 ISO is now available!
:>
:>
:> Will we feature the new installer?
:
:It's not there currently.
:
:For what it's worth, I think it's a definitely must-have for the official
:1.0-release! It might not be complete, but it's sure A LOT better than the
:manual way for most people. (And, if you don't like it/it doesn't work for
:you, you can still do it manually by exiting the installer to the shell).

    I think it's possible but we're trying for an official release in ~7 days,
    so the timing would be pretty tight.  Personally speaking I don't think
    it's necessasry to rush and stress to get something into the first
    release.
					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hello,

precisely i must say i have a big problem with your RC1 ISO. I have
tried it on vmware3, it works OK.
Unfortunately this was the last time i have seen it working :-(
I have tried it on 3 desktops, and a laptop it didn't boot at all, that
is the CD (it was more precisely a RW CD) was not recognized as a
bootable CD. Back at home i have tried it on my wife's laptop
(IBM Thinkpad T40, Centrino based), here it booted, but extremely
slowly. There was a long timeout recognizing the CD and after that
READ BIG errors. Finally i got the login prompt after perhaps 5 minutes
but could type nothing on the keyboard! I then rebooted without acpi in
case it would help, but no luck (except i didn't see READ BIG errors).
To be sure i booted on the same laptop:
-the FreeBIE live CD based on FreeBSD-5.2.1 It worked perfectly
including firing up XWindow. The ACPI stuff was recognized without any
apparent error.
-the Knoppix 3.3 CD also worked perfectly although faster than the
FreeBSD one.
Hence i suspect there are serious problems in the DFly ATA driver.