DragonFly RC1 ISO now available.

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Mon Jun 28 08:42:27 PDT 2004

Matthew Dillon wrote:

:For what it's worth, I think it's a definitely must-have for the official
:1.0-release! It might not be complete, but it's sure A LOT better than the
:manual way for most people. (And, if you don't like it/it doesn't work for
:you, you can still do it manually by exiting the installer to the shell).

    I think it's possible but we're trying for an official release in ~7 days,
    so the timing would be pretty tight.  Personally speaking I don't think
    it's necessasry to rush and stress to get something into the first
    release.
It depends. Is DragonFlyBSD ready for 'production use'? Will people be
encouraged to install it in their computers/servers (ok, maybe not
mission-critical-do-or-die types, but small servers for starts, personal or
semi-personal)? Then it should have an installer that can do that without
much hustle, even if it can't bring up the network or such. Personally, even
if I have some major usability suggestions for it, I think that, after the
install-into-partition bug is fixed, the installer is ready for 1.0.

Although knowledgable users will probably not have difficulties installing
from scratch (mostly because it's not really hard), it is certainly hairy
and error-prone (and it's unfriendly to users that only want to see "whazzit
about"), and the "wider audience" will be turned off. I think the project
would make a better impression if it had any kind of installer, than if it
had none.

Maybe, an arrangement could be made so that the installer is put on the CD
(event if it's somewhat buggy), but not started on boot (with a nice message
saying "yes, there's an installer, but it's not finished and use it on your
own risk. type "xyzzy" if you want to start it.").