postfix causes hangs

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Wed Jun 23 11:32:26 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:35:52AM -0700, Rob Schmuloff wrote:
> Hello,

[...]
> This is with a kernel/world built June 23rd.  I
> *think* the problem is somewhere in the lockf code
> because I glanced at 'ps' from DDB. Also, I'm using
> procmail for local delivery, so that's also a
> possibility.  Sorry for the sparse information.  I'm
> trying to get more data for you..

Please try to provide the following for us for download:
- a tarball of your /var/spool/postfix [if this doesn't contain private
mail, save it and try to remove them as long as the problem persists]
- a crash dump of the system when it hangs and the kernel.debug, please
_test_ that 'gdb -k kernel.debug vmcore.X' actually works and gdb doesn't
crash.
- if you can easily reproduce the problem, compile kern/kern_lockf.c
with -DLOCKF_DEBUG, use the ddb command 'w lf_print_ranges 1' to set
the lockf debugging and give us the /var/log/messages.

I really want to fix this, but neither Matt nor I can reproduce this
problem and the code is not obviously bad. There is some interaction
going on, but the crash dump we had so far doesn't work (see above about
testing). It would be nice, if you can use bzip2 or gzip on all this data.

Joerg