DragonFly faster than linux or FreeBSD?

Dave Leimbach leimySPAM2k at mac.com
Wed Jun 16 14:16:17 PDT 2004

Steve Mynott <steve at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On the same aging laptop (P2/366/192Mb with kern.mmxopt=1) I have ran
> FreeBSD 5, Linux (Fedora) and DragonFly.
>
> Although, its not scientific and quite subjective I have had the
> distinct impression that both KDE (3.2.1) and Java (Native FreeBSD)
> are noticably faster on DragonFly than the other systems.
>
> ISTR someone on IRC [*] also saying they thought KDE was faster on
> DragonFly as well.
>
> The FreeBSD 5 result is perhaps no surprise but the Linux one was
> (maybe resulted from different KDE versions/graphic drivers).
>
> Can anyone confirm this?

I've *always* found KDE to run better on FreeBSD than on Linux.  Even though
the core of KDE developers do their work on Linux I've found that on the
same hardware the 4.x series of FreeBSD was very good at handling the
memory behaviors of KDE.

The VM is just better I think.

Since DragonFly is a decendant of the 4.x line it's not surprising that you'd
notice the same results.

Dave