How to use DFly sources via nfs?

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Fri Jun 4 04:23:51 PDT 2004

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 02:59:18PM -0700, walt wrote:

I now have two DFly machines and I'm trying to spare DFly some bandwidth
by sharing the sources directory via nfs.
The problem is that quickworld halts immediately with missing file
errors, obviously related to the /usr/src symlink.
I have /usr from the first machine nfs_mounted (ro) on /mnt on the
second machine.

I have /usr/src symlinked to /mnt/usr/src.

Is there an environment variable I need to set in order to make this
work?  Any other requirements?

I'm not sure of an environment variable, but using symlinks for the build
location is very likely to hit bugs of one sort or the other.
Building in any location works fine IF you are using a real directory.
An alternative (untried) would be a read-only nullfs mount, from
/mnt/usr/src to /usr/src. This has the advantage of the working getcwd()
which the symlink doesn't have.
	And if you cant' mount it directly to /usr/src, then use
	a UNION mount:
		mount_union /mnt/usr/src /usr/src

	This ought to uncover some interesting bugs. :-)

	*me whistles*

		-Hiten
		hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx