How to use DFly sources via nfs?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jun 3 17:59:56 PDT 2004

:I now have two DFly machines and I'm trying to spare DFly some bandwidth
:by sharing the sources directory via nfs.
:
:The problem is that quickworld halts immediately with missing file
:errors, obviously related to the /usr/src symlink.
:
:I have /usr from the first machine nfs_mounted (ro) on /mnt on the
:second machine.
:
:I have /usr/src symlinked to /mnt/usr/src.
:
:Is there an environment variable I need to set in order to make this
:work?  Any other requirements?
:
:Thanks!

    Theoretically it should be possible to do a build from any directory,
    but there are a number of places in the Makefile's where locational
    assumptions are made.

    I recommend simply making /usr/src a directory and doing the mount
    directly on /usr/src.  You can allow subdirectories to be mounted
    by using the -alldirs option in /etc/exports.  So, for example,
    the server can export /usr read-only:

    /usr -ro -alldirs -maproot=root: ...

    And then on the client you can do:

    mount server:/usr/src /usr/src