DragonFly faster than linux or FreeBSD?

Ivan Voras ivoras at geri.cc.fer.hr
Wed Jun 16 11:30:04 PDT 2004

Steve Mynott wrote:

On the same aging laptop (P2/366/192Mb with kern.mmxopt=1) I have ran
FreeBSD 5, Linux (Fedora) and DragonFly.

Although, its not scientific and quite subjective I have had the
distinct impression that both KDE (3.2.1) and Java (Native FreeBSD) are
noticably faster on DragonFly than the other systems.

The FreeBSD 5 result is perhaps no surprise but the Linux one was (maybe
resulted from different KDE versions/graphic drivers).

Can anyone confirm this?
If you try FreeBSD 4.x, it should be even a bit faster :)
FreeBSD 5 went downhill after the 5.x split[*], and DFlyBSD is trying to
achieve its features using different approaches to the same problems
(SMP, scalability), but starting "from scratch" with the 4.x branch.

[*] IMHO, ofcourse :)