ideas 2

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Jul 28 12:08:43 PDT 2004

:>     I've considered changing the PermitRootLogin to 'without-password'
:>     by default.  For the CD boot we could safely set it to 'yes' by
:>     default, because sshd will not accept an empty password... then a
:>     person would only need to set a password on the root account and they
:>     could login via sshd.
:>
:>                                         -Matt
:
:I would worry about having the 'without-password' turned on by
:default, even for the CD because of the possibility of bug getting
:into the release building process which could lead to the sshd_config

    Maybe there's some confusion here... 'without-password' does not mean
    what you might think it means... it simply means that sshd will ONLY
    accept logins via the (e.g.) authorized_keys file.  'without-password'
    means that no manual password entry will be acceptedd, not that you
    can login to a passwordless account.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>