DragonFly-1.0 RELEASED!

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Jul 12 13:52:33 PDT 2004

:> We have managed to retain 4.x's vaunted stability throughout the development
:> process, despite ripping out and replacing major subsystems...
:
:I think I'm more impressed with this than anything else -- I still can't
:believe how few problems I've had over the last year -- and the few problems
:I've reported have been fixed with amazing speed.

    I'm amazed myself, actually.  What I really love about the codebase is
    that most of the bugs have been incredibly easy to track down.  The
    FreeBSD guys thought it would be more difficult to debug a threaded
    system then a mutexed system, but in fact I believe we are proving that
    it is the other way around!  It is far easier to debug our threaded
    system.  The FreeBSD guys depend way too much on WITNESS to find
    problems for them, rather then focusing on proper coding abstractions.
    Our focus on making the coding methodologies straightforward and obvious,
    and inherently MP safe without requiring massively complex coding
    rules, is resulting in much better-designed, less bugful code going into
    the tree.

    Plus, it's actually *fun* to code for DragonFly.  Coding MP clean
    mechanisms in FreeBSD-5 is decidedly *not* fun.