Floppies?

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Mon Jul 12 10:42:28 PDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:42:36 -0400
Walter Venable <weaseal at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sarunas V. wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 04:38:47 -0400, user wrote:
> > [...]
> > 2. If your BIOS doesn't support booting from cdrom, you can download
> >
> > ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-10.0/rootdisks/sbootmgr.dsk
> >
> >    Then "#dd if=sbootmgr.dsk of=/dev/fd0" to add it to floppy.
> >    Reboot the machine, insert the floppy so it can be read of and
> >    loaded after POST. Choose the option to boot from CD-ROM, dfly
> >    will be loaded from a CD, then install it.
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >

> Unfortunately the boot-from-CD is not an option.  The system doesn't
> support it.  Too old.

Try the Smart Boot Manager floppy before giving up.  It's allowed me to
boot from CD on truly ancient machines - so long as the CD-ROM drive
itself is ATA/IDE, and not one of those proprietary (Mitsumi?) drives.

> I can't seem to locate how to activate the installer after having
> mounted the CD-rom. Any hints?

Unfortunately, running the installer from an installed system isn't yet
supported.

-Chris